Saturday, 2 August 2014

Week fifteen - Saturday

Today the intention had been to do 60 miles. It's the last big ride before the sportive and Ant and I had a really good route planned.

We knew some rain was forecast but undettered we set off.  About 6 miles up the road we stopped and put our raincoats on as it was drizzling.  The drizzle became more persistent but it was nothing to be that bothered by.

We rode really well and I felt particularly good.  I managed some pretty nasty hills and found myself having to wait for Ant a number of times.


   Hilly....


By mile 25 or so the rain was getting heavier.  We had agreed that we would stop in Towcester for a late lunch and then finish off with 20 more miles.  

After a particularly vicious hill Ant needed a quick break. While we were grabbing some snacks and gels the weather suddenly took a turn for the sinister. The rain got heavier and heavier and we knew we really needed to get to Towcester to get inside and some lunch.

About 5 miles later the rain became even heavier.  It was biblical.  I literally could not see as my glasses were so wet and steamed up.  It was at this point the thunder and lightning started and the road began to flood.  It was absolutely horrific.

We finally got to MacDonalds in Towcester, which was not where we had intended to eat at all but we felt that it was unlikely that anywhere else would let us in as we were so wet.

I went to the loo and attempted to dry off a little to no avail.  I had no glasses on and could not see anything other than the angry woman following me with a mop.  I put my specs back on and sat down at a table.  At this point I'd like you all to imagine a) how much water padded cycling shorts and padded cycling knickers can absorb, b) how hard it is to pull them down, then back up for a wee and c) how much water leaks out when you sit down on a hard seat.  All in all it was not a pleasant feeling.

It was then I started shaking uncontrollably.  I was freezing. Absolutely freezing.  My food was disgusting too which didn't help.

Obviously at this point we were still 20 miles from home.  Although I had found the ride physically pretty easy up to this point the icy cold feeling and the torrential rain were bothering me a great deal.  I was very worried about myself, especially as by this point my lips had turned bright blue.

We started to try and figure out what to do.  Most of our friends in the village are currently on holiday so we couldn't phone anyone to get us and how would we get the bikes home?  I texted my best friend but she wasn't in.  

It was then we spotted a lady from our daughter's school.  She came over and sterted chatted about how wet it was and how far had we travelled?  We told her and mentioned we weren't sure we could continue and she said she'd take us home.  We were so relieved.  I was still blue and shaking and riding in the biblical weather seemed less and less wise.  We agreed to leave the bikes chained up and return for them in our car.  I have to say I have never been more grateful to anyone in my life.

We were dropped off and quickly got changed and started to warm up.  I returned to a normal colour and finally stopped shaking.

In the end we did 35.6 miles in 2 hours 51. It's nowhere near what I'd hoped for the last long ride before my sportive but I genuinely think I may have had a serious problem had we continued.  Up to the point we stopped I had found the ride pretty easy and had it not been for the weather conditions I could easily have continued for at least the 25 more miles we had planned.  With this in mind I am 100% confident that I will be fine next week.  I'm disappointed that rain ruined my ride but I'm not overly concerned that I didn't do the scheduled training session.

Tomorrow I will do another shorter ride as I need to take my bike to be serviced and then it's just a few light sessions before next weekend.

Incidentally, I must add that my best friend texted back a little while later to say she was home and what did I need. I explained what had happened and she confirmed she would indeed have come to rescue us had it not been for the serendipitous meeting in MacDonalds.  I never doubted she would!!

No comments:

Post a Comment