Steady paced ride - try not to get out of breath. Pedal at 90-95rpm.
Introduce a few harder exertions so as to feel different levels.
It's the weekend!
Today I basically ignored the training programme again and set out for a long ride. For the first time in the programme I had company!
We started off by doing the same route I did on Thursday. The weather looked ominous and we'd had some torrential rain that morning but we got lucky and stayed dry throughout the whole ride.
Rather than head for home at the point I did on Thursday we detoured into Brackley for coffee and cake. I believe this is, in fact the law when doing long weekend rides. The plan after this had been to head for home on a tried and tested route which would have been about 5 miles more on the 14 or so we'd done at that point. However, when I returned with a strawberries and cream creamy cooler and a decaf skinny latte the husband had the sat nav open in his phone. He suggested a different route to add on the miles. I agreed and we set off again. It added about 8 more on but took in some serious hills. I really struggled on one of them but I made it.
The husband really struggled later on in the ride but by this point I seemed to have got a second wind and actually overtook him on the final hill. We had a chat about this when we got home and I think our bodies react differently to snacks. We'd had some energy flapjacks which kicked in for me pretty quickly but the husband didn't seem to get any benefit from them. I've suggested on the next long one he tries to eat and drink more frequently. He's going to give it a go. He is training for the London to Brighton in June so needs the practice as much as me.
In the end we did about 23 miles in just over 2 hours. We were pleased with this.
I really enjoyed having company on my ride and I'm looking forward to the next time we can go out together.


No comments:
Post a Comment