I’ve come to realise that there is a big difference between cyclists and people that ride bikes. I’m definitely in the latter category.
When I bought my hybrid (a Giant Escape) the selection of bikes available was huge. I was seriously considering buying at first a Pendleton Brooke, and then a Pendleton Dalby, both available exclusively from Halfords. I liked the look of both of these bikes and both had received good reviews. What put me off was the fact they were only available from Halfords and would cyclists laugh at the fact I had a ‘celebrity’endorsed bike?
Cyclists are generally very sniffy towards Halfords. On some levels I understand why. The levels of customer services you get in there can be very hit and miss. It is the type of store that is often staffed by people who have no interest in bikes and evidently just wanted a job. They don’t always have the knowledge you can draw on in your local independent store. However, independent cycle shops can be extremely unapproachable, especially if you’re a woman. This is a well-known fact, not just experienced by me. The Breeze network actually have a scheme where shops can sign up as ‘female friendly’.
When shopping for bikes both Ant and I have run the full gambit of customer service levels. We’ve been totally ignored, we’ve been told what we’re looking for isn’t available (it was!) and treated with disdain due to our lack oflycra. On the other hand we’ve also received great advice, help and been sold two excellent bikes (if you’re in Oxford I strongly recommend Summertown Cycles).
Ant made an error recently when he bought a cheap road bike from Halfords. It was one of these ‘half price’ ones (you know, ‘half price’ like a DFS Sofa!) and his head was turned. However when he got it home he hated it. Apart from the fact he didn’t get on with the drop handle bars he found the set up and gearing weird. When he took it to our local branch (not the store it had been purchased from) he expressed his unhappiness. The staff were not terribly helpful and basically shrugged it off. However, when he spoke to the actual bike mechanic he was informed the bike was badly set up and he had been given poor advice re. changing gear. This staff member suggested speaking with the manager of the branch it had been bought from.
Ant was still unhappy. He took it to one of our local independent stores who explained to him why this bike was categorically not the bike for him. It was a poor fit (did you even know bike could fit or not fit you!?) and Ant would never be comfortable on it. Now, Ant will tell you that he wasn’t ‘sold’ this bike by Halfords. He picked it by himself. That said a decent bike shop would probably have made him try it out and then told him why it was inappropriate. Either way, Ant was left with an expensive mistake. The next part of the story may surprise you. He took it back to Halfords some 8 weeks after it had been purchased and spoke to the manager about his issues and the manager refunded him and gave him some more money off a Boardman performance hybrid. We were all stunned. This is excellent customer service. Absolutely brilliant. Ant was hugely despondent about his poor choice and was quite convinced he had essentially lost his money so when he got his hands on the sort of bike he really wanted he was thrilled.
So maybe Halfords isn’t so bad after all? I have ordered myself the new Pendleton Initial Hybrid and I hope to collect it from Halfords this weekend. So far the ordering process and the chat with the store explaining how despite them ordering it for me I was not necessarily going to be buying it has been a positive experience. Luckily I now know more about bikes than I used to so should be able to figure out for myself if it’s a good fit, plus I know there are several decent members of staff at our local branch so I’ll ask for them if I do need help. As for the concept of cyclists laughing at me for having a celebrity bike I no longer care. If it’s a decent ride I’m happy!! I will report back and write a bit more about celebrity bikes after the weekend.
New bike?
I think the moral of the story is that you need to find a bike shop that you are happy with and whether it’s Halfords, an Independent or somewhere like Evan Cycles (who incidentlydo brilliant ‘women only’ events), as long as you are happy with the service you are getting then it’s the right place for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment