Friday, 27 June 2014

Week ten - Thursday

Cycling 1.25 hrs 

 Ride at a steady pace for 20 mins at 90-95rpm, then briskly for 5 mins at 110rpm. Ease off for 10 mins at 80mph then do two 5 min brisk sessions, easing off for 10 mins in between. Warm down for 20 mins at 80rpm. 

Well as ever I didn’t really do this as I have no idea what my cadence is due to a lack of equipment. However, what I was interested in today was getting to grips with the damn bike at last. And I’m very pleased to report that by George I think I got it! 

I did the exact same route as on Tuesday and tried very hard to both relax and pay careful attention to what I was doing gear wise. I also made sure I was well hydrated before I went and thought carefully about what to eat for dinner beforehand too. These factors combined seemed to make a really big difference. I rode at much more like the speed I should be and got up the hills nicely too. The only issue on this ride was a pulled muscle which I felt quite early on. I carried on though and by the end of the ride I was really happy to see I had shaved 7 mins off Tuesday’s time and achieved a 14.1mph average. 


    My best average mph yet.


I am absolutely delighted with this. I had hoped to be up to 14mph by the middle of July so the new bike has clearly made a difference. I am hoping to be up to an average of 15mph by August so this has set me in good stead and made me hopeful that I can achieve it. When you consider that my leg hurt a lot, it started to rain and I had inadvertently come out with no lights so was riding fairly conservatively I am sure I have faster speeds in me.

This ride has put me back into a more positive mood. I feel I am still not back at the skill level I was at on my hybrid as I am still a little nervy on the hybrid but I have had it less than a week so this is not surprising. Hopefully in a week or so I will be as confident as I was before and improving my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment