However, as the sportive gets closer the length of rides has increased and I am now up to 1.5 hours in the evening (not a problem) and 2-3 hours at the weekend. Apart from the fact we often have fairly busy weekends I find it difficult to factor in these longer rides. I enjoy spending time with my family. In all honesty it is not just fitting them in that is the problem, it is the fact that setting off on your own for 3 hours on a bike is not something I relish. Although I have plenty of friends none of them (except 1) are cyclists. Those that do have bikes are unlikely to want to embark on a 35+ mile ride and are similarly busy to me anyway. Anyone that has attempted to organise meeting a friend with a family for lunch at a weekend will know that the endless onslaught of horse riding, ballet lessons and football gets in the way.
The only other regular cyclist I know is my husband but given we have an 8 year old daughter who cannot ride a bike yet, and also could not go for 3 hours even if she could, he cannot come out with me either.
One of the most common bits of advice about training for a sportive is to join your local club. It will give you valuable advice and experience of riding in a group. There are plenty of cycle groups close to me. I see them regularly as they fly by me riding at 20+mph in their snazzy outfits with my pride at managing 15mph vanishing in their wake! Needless to say I feel this probably isn’t for me unfortunately. There is a local group that purport to be more beginner friendly but I happened to see them this week too and let’s just say they were all chaps of a certain age who, again, still looked pretty intimidating.
A good way to get out with a group if you’re a woman in to join a Breeze ride. Breeze is a great organisation determined to get women out riding. I have been on one Breeze ride and it was quite possibly one of the best things I’d ever done. The leader taught me more about effective riding, gears etc. in the 3 hours I was with her than anyone else ever has done and it totally revolutionised the way I handled my bike. But, of course there is not always a Breeze ride that fits in with the training programme.
Go Sky Ride also do group rides for men and women. They also have a buddy and group scheme where you can find like-minded local people. As ever though the idea of forming a relationship like that through a website, much like internet dating, may be successful for some people but terrifying for others. For me the lack of confidence in my own ability and the worry I might not get along with the person or the fact we aren’t looking for the same things out of training puts me off.
So what is the answer? I don’t know. This weekend I intend to get up early to do my 2 hours of training. That way it will not impact too much on my day with my family but I will have to go it alone. I think I will either have to just accept my loneliness whilst out on the road or put on my big girl pants and try and make a cycling buddy! I’ll let you know how it goes.
Incidentally, since posting this I have, in fact, contacted a cycling club. I had a lovely reply and now I just need to decide if I'm brave enough to meet with them!
ReplyDelete