Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Week seven - Sunday

A very short ride today as I was trying out a new bike.

I've noticed I can do some pretty good speeds on my hybrid.  I can, in fact, go as quick as Ant and his bike is lighter and cost twice as much as mine!  This got me to wondering if I would now be better off on a road bike.  This spark was further ignited when I saw this, Victoria Pendleton's new bike for Halfords.

Ant bought a racer with drop handle bars and hated the riding position so much that he returned it.  Keen not to make an expensive mistake I decided to borrow a friend's road bike to see how I got on.  

I loved it!!  Despite the fact her bike was far too small for me, and had pedals made for cleats I really enjoyed the riding experience.  It was fast, smooth and I felt like I could achieve great things on it.  I definitely want one.

If I am going to change bike I need to do it soon.  I have 9 weeks until my sportive and will need to get used to a new bike fairly swiftly.  This means decisions need to be made.  As of yet I cannot find any reviews of the Pendleton.  It looks good and I have a theory that she wouldn't put her name to a rubbish product.  However, cyclists can be quite sniffy about Halfords as a bike retailer and do I really want a celebrity endorsed bike?  That said the Boardman bikes, also by Halfords, are very well regarded and I've heard good things about the Hoy bikes at Evans.

In many ways the decision might end up being made for me.  My work have a cycle to work scheme which is run by Halfords.  The scheme isn't running at the moment but if it starts up again in the next few weeks then getting the Pendleton seems like a good idea as I can get it cheaper.  If it doesn't then I could get one anywhere I fancied - if I decide to go for it!  

Total Women's Cycling has this handy guide which may influence me.

Hmmm, decisions decisions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment