I've recently been accepted as a volunteer for Sustrans. Sustrans is a cycling charity that supports and promotes cycling in the UK. I've volunteered with them because I want to help out with the Northants Summer of Cycling.
It was whilst deciding which events fit in with my training programme and I can therefore help at that I discovered I had totally miscounted the dates leading up to my sportive, basically I have started the training programme 4 weeks early! Obviously this doesn't really matter. Following the training programme, albeit a month early, has made me more disciplined and confident in my riding.
Speaking of discipline today was Stage 1 of the first Women's Tour. The highlights are on at 9pm on ITV4 each night and repeated in the mornings at 8am. Some of the world's top female cyclists completed stage 1 from Oundle to Northampton today. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to go along to watch - work really does get in the way sometimes!
2014 is going to be a big year for cycling with La Course by Le Tour de France also taking place for the first time on 27th July, but more of that nearer the time.
Hopefully these new elite events will serve to get more women out there on their bikes, even if we can't always be relied on the count effectively!
No comments:
Post a Comment